Friday, September 11, 2009

Go Meat!

One of the really interesting things about the school I'm teaching at is that it's a work college. All the students work at least 15 hours a week on campus. And the most coveted "work crew," as they're known, is the organic farm that's on the edge of campus. And the best thing about the farm, from my angle, is that they sell their wares.

So a couple of weeks ago, an email went out announcing the fall meat sale. Clicking on the order form, I discovered you can order 1/4 of a cow or pig, as well as sausage & bacon. So Ross & I spent a couple days deciding how much meat could fit in our freezer. Then, I received a brilliant email from one of my fellow new profs, suggesting a new kids' joint meat order. So now there are eight of us (4 profs plus spouses) who are splitting oodles of organic, local meat.

The point of this post isn't really to talk about meat, but rather to say that I'm developing some really good relationships with some of my colleagues, especially my cohort of newcomers. They're all super-nice, and I've enjoyed talking with all of them at various social events this year. After spending the first month last year keeping my head down & not having anyone talk to me save the folks who met me when I interviewed, it's been a very nice change.

Also, my motivation vanished yesterday at lunch, and has yet to return. If you stole my ability to write a lecture, please give it back. I got behind when I was sick a couple weeks ago, and if I don't get my butt in gear, I'm staring down a very busy weekend. But there's football to watch! :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yay local and organic! I'm a member of a CSA and try to stick to organic/free range as much as possible (especially meat & dairy). It makes a big difference.

Glad you're liking the new place. :)