Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ups and Downs

I'm settling into something of a rhythm with the job, now that I'm three weeks in. I definitely have good days - like today has been so far - and bad days. Yesterday was a not-great day. I didn't feel like I got anything done at the office, then came home to a "revise and resubmit" letter on my first scholarly journal submission. While revise & resubmit is, of course, much better than a rejection, they want the revisions by Dec. 1, in order to have the article ready for the special issue I submitted for. The problem with this is #1, I'm teaching four classes, and #2, I'm not in a tenure-track job, and am therefore on the job market again this year. Applying for academic jobs is possibly the greatest time-sucking activity ever invented. Each school wants something a little bit different at a slightly different time. I got NOTHING done besides job stuff the entire month of October last year. So at the end of a long and discouraging day, it was even more discouraging to come home to find that more work had been created for me.
But today! Today is better :) I'm getting things done, had a student actually come to my office hours (yay!), and had Jimmy Johns for lunch. The power of a good sandwich should not be over-estimated. Also, I just met with my third publishing rep, and will be rolling in free books here in a couple weeks.
This is just how it goes, as with anything new. Good days and bad days, but in the end, all is well :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hey Mel,

"Revise and resubmit" is exciting, especially considering it was your first submission! It means they liked the meat of what you were saying, at the very least. Some of the editing I do is for scholarly journals, and I'd be happy to take a look at it for you if you think it would help. Send me email and tell me more about it if you want to.

Good luck with everything everything. Growing up is hard work, and a lot of circus tricks (especially juggling) are involved. You can do it!