Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Did!

This isn't usually a political blog, obviously, but yesterday was just too overwhelming not to share my thoughts about it. I heard Obama speak in person over a year ago, and was moved by how smart he was. He thought about big ideas, and he clearly had smart people around him whom he listened to. It was also by far the most diverse crowd of people I was ever around in my old town. I quickly donated a bit of money, slapped a button on my bookbag and a sticker on my car. When the primaries rolled around, I was out there in the February cold, handing out leaflets, signing up volunteers, passing out literature at a polling place for 3 hours in the sleet. I've never done any of that before. I follow politics, but never before had I volunteered.

I was so moved by his speech last night, because unlike politicians from both parties who talk in empty platitudes about bipartisanship, I know Obama means it. He really will try to bring our nation together and heal the divisions. I thought the quote from Lincoln was dead-on - we are one nation, and though our friendship has been strained, we'll come together for our common good. He - and we - face extraordinary challenges as we move forward into 2009. But I've never been prouder of my country, never been more confident that we have elected a man who can really make a difference for good, than I am today.

No comments: