Saturday, May 30, 2009

Yeah...sorry about that

So I dropped the blogging ball the second half of the semester. Largely that was because I'd settled into this whole professor routine, and was dealing with the usual end-of-semester paper and exam grading crunch. I'm now back from two weeks out West visiting family, and figured I'd give my few intrepid friends (all 3 or 4 of you, I guess, who are still checking this thing after a two-month delay) an update.

The semester ended fine. I'll begin teaching summer school this coming Friday, two hours a day for the month of June. It's a class I taught in the fall, so minimal prep required. And I get a TA, so my grading load will be fairly low.

Then comes the big changes - we're moving again, b/c I got a tenure-track job (as most, if not all of you, know). I'll be going from a huge, public institution with a student body that is center-right politically (and farther right than my other 2 schools) to a tiny, private, liberal arts school where the student body leans, from what I've been told, pretty far left. The former is the only kind of college I've ever known: it's where I went to undergrad, where I got my Ph.D., as well as where I did this first year of intensive teaching. So I think I'm going to keep the blog going, just so I have a space to ruminate on the difference that makes, and get you all's thoughts & feedback.

So I'll be posting sporadically during the summer, but then will be back in form once August rolls around. Also, I'm thinking of making this an invited-readers only blog, so I can talk about more than just teaching, and do so more freely. So if you're still checking in, shoot me an email and I'll send you an invite.

No comments: