Thursday, December 3, 2009

Seriously?

As everyone who reads this blog knows, I'm expecting my first baby in early July. Since this is a blog about work, it seems the perfect outlet to vent about how this news is going down at my job. I told the chair of my department before Thanksgiving, and he was pleasant and congratulatory. But a couple of other department members have been told/found out this week, and have reacted with loud dismay. I know they're not going to necessarily be overjoyed, but "why are you doing this to me!" was not exactly the reaction I was expecting. It was, however, the reaction I got from the one other female member of our department.

As a bit of background, and somewhat in their defense, I'm the third person in 5 or 6 years to have my job. Both of the other two were women in their thirties, who left for family reasons, my immediate predecessor because she had a baby. So I suppose I get it a bit.

But still I'm surprised. I'm due July 6 - perfect timing from their angle, as my six weeks of leave will be up right when the semester starts. Also, my husband doesn't have a job so, you know, someone's got to keep a roof over the kid's head! I realize that extraordinary things occasionally happen, but barring anything unforeseen, I'll be here in late August, ready to roll. Is it too much to ask for them not to be loudly concerned & pissed off?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sadly, this is the case for moms-to-be and moms everywhere. No matter where you are, people will have opinions and voice them loudly, whether it be about your job, what you're eating, what you're wearing, what you're doing, etc. Once you become pregnant, many people seem to think it's their invitation to offer advice and criticism completely unchecked. My best advice (I just gave the same advice to my SIL-to-be when she was frustrated with wedding planning!): learn to smile, thank people for their opinion, and then make decisions as you see fit. Hang in there!