Over the past couple of days, I've accumulated what I consider to be pretty definitive proof that writing lectures bears a striking resemblance, in some ways, to writing dissertations. Yesterday was like hitting my head against a wall, lecture-wise. I got a handful of midterms graded, but was totally unable to make myself write anything. Today, by contrast, I've banged out 2/3 of a lecture in under 2 hours.
I would encounter this while I was dissertating - days when my brain just refused to write. And on those days, I would take the trolley home early, watch some Law & Order reruns, maybe wander downtown for a coffee or a crepe (mmm, brie & apples) or just a wander. I haven't been allowing myself those days of playing hooky since I started working, largely because I have a lot more to do and far more frequent deadlines. As in a deadline every other day, or I have nothing to say in front of the lecture hall. But, given the experiences of yesterday afternoon vs. this morning, I think I've learned that allowing myself those kinds of days (which I did yesterday for the first time) are still necessary and, in the end, actually do more to help me meet the deadlines. This is reassuring both for my own sanity and also b/c it means that all the work techniques I developed while dissertating don't have to be chucked. Which is nice.
Also, reading back over this post I just realized that I identified a problem and then gave its significance. I think I need to stop grading midterms now - I'm starting to write in IDs!
15 years ago
1 comment:
I wrote the final 4000 words of my thesis in 8 hours... from 12am to 8am... and it was some of the better writing I did... so I get what you're saying. :)
Post a Comment