I made a couple of announcements in my big lecture at the beginning of the semester in order to find note-takers - students who are paid by the disability resource center to take notes for classmates with dyslexia, hearing problems, etc. At that time, I had a student or two email to ask me how they could get those notes, only to be told that they couldn't unless they had a documented disability.
Today, I had a student come up to me after lecture and ask if the notes were going to be in the note store before the midterm (which is a week from today). I looked at her blankly, and she reminded me that I had mentioned note-takers in class. I watched her face fall as I told her that those were only for students with disabilities. Just to make sure, she then asked "So I won't be able to buy notes for this class before the midterm?"
This is why I teach college - it's not in my contract to make sure she passes my class. I can, therefore, do nothing and let her get the bad grade she richly deserves for slacking off.
15 years ago
1 comment:
If you want to have some fun, find out which stores are selling your notes, then ask something that was not listed. Good times.
Post a Comment