Friday, August 29, 2008

an observation

Only time for a quick note today - I'm off to my last class then heading to a friend's bachelorette weekend in Gaitlinburg. So if you see a group of women in their late 20s at Dollywood this weekend, say hi. It's probably us.
Anyway, my observation on the work front is pretty basic: it's a lot easier to write a lecture for the survey than for an upper-division class. Upper-division surveys have to do more than just tell a factual story, they need to communicate big ideas, historiographic disagreements, and generally have a lot more nuance. Since I know haven't been super-happy with two of the three lectures I've given to my 400-level class, I think it's safe to say that those are just harder. Which isn't really what I expected.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually think it's easier to write the upper-level lectures--then you can give them the argument of just one book rather than having to cull information from the textbook plus a bunch of other books. For instance in my Indians before and after contact lecture I talked about Columbus, John Smith, French Missionaries AND summed up Jim Merrell, Neal Salisbury, and Daniel Richter.

Unknown said...

Just saying "hey!," Mel! Alexandra, Antonio, and I are enjoying hearing about all your adventures in professor-land!