Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"That could be a tornado siren..."

Things I learned today: my university does not have a well-practiced universal policy in the case of a natural emergency. We had a tornado warning in our area today. My department's secretary came around, asked everyone to leave our top-floor offices, and head down to the basement level. We were kept there until the sirens stopped going off - about 10 minutes. My husband, by contrast, had been working in the library. Everyone there was initially "encouraged" to go to the center of whatever floor they were on, then "encouraged" to go to the first floor, then ordered to the center of the first floor, where everyone in the library was held for half an hour, until the tornado warning expired. Adding to the absurdity of this: my department and the library are very, very close to each other on campus. Brilliant. But at least everyone was OK.
Also, I hope everyone likes the new layout! And I've added links to the blogs kept by people that I know. If you've got a blog that I don't know about, lemme know and I'll add you to the list. (I'll also start reading your blog!)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

But Mel....see, I attended your particular university for 4 years and now live in the general area. We get SO MANY tornado warnings that no one even bats an eyelash (until a tree comes crashing through their roof!). Tornadoes just aren't that big a deal in these parts. :)

Now, when there's an earthquake warning, expect widespread panic. :)

Lisa

Ash said...

hey i made a blog too..i'll figure out how to get the link to you..unless this comment will lead the way...

Mel said...

@Lisa - it's not the lack of plan I mind so mcuh as the absurdity of keeping everyone in the library from doing anything for half an hour! But it's good to know these things happen a lot without much problem - I've gotten out of practice on the whole tornado thing after spending six years in a place where they don't happen.

Erik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Heehee... you thought the tornado warning was funny. Just wait 'til you get snow flurries!!! I won't spoil too much of the surprise and suspense for you, but I will tell you that all of the dining halls refuse to use trays those days because students steal them to go sledding down the hill behind the law school. :)

Weather in the south is fun!!!

Erik said...

Whoops! I don't know what happened to my previous comment.

Ah well.